Not just repurposing, but BEING repurposed......" if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come." ~~ 2 Corinthians 5:17



Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Where do you get your junk?"

      Wow, it has been so long since I've posted that everything's changed and I've got to relearn how!  Included in my excuses for not posting is that I haven't made anything.  And THAT I'll blame on my space issues -- or as the kids would say "it's complicated!".  I am working on that.
      But in the meantime, when some good junk comes along, you've gotta go for it!  And people are always asking me "Where do you get your junk?".  SO.....I thought I'd share some things I just got and explain where they came from.


 Well, this one I am in LOVE with!  It reminds me of a tiny commercial laundry cart.  That holds extra meaning as my parents for close to 40 years owned and operated our local dry cleaners.  This cutie is 25" x 15", 15" high, with some 1"or 2"casters to be added.  I can envision it by the back door filled with shoes, by the fireplace at Christmas with florals or gifts piled high, in a bathroom stacked with fluffy towels, or even as an end table.  
     I found it at an area Habitat Restore while prowling for a new water heater (don't ask!).  There it sat on a shelf -- marked $1.00.  I was beside myself with excitement but had no cash on me.  So I travelled to my bank (which happened to be just a mile away) and quickly returned to find it still safe and sound.  "Isn't it awesome!" I declared to the cashier.  Her "whatever" expression told me she just didn't get it. 

        
Though these two aren't nearly as incredible of a find, they are very typical of the type of stuff you can find setting by the curb on garbage day.  Which means that, yes, they were FREE!  They are pretty good size and once cleaned up and painted white would make for the foundations of some great display pieces.   



Oh, yeah, I think you're getting hint of what's next....
Is this beautiful or what!?!  Now, sometimes to get something like this you DO have to spend a little bit of money.  I paid $10.00 for it, but I think that's a pretty good deal -- I've seen them go a lot higher.  I bought it through a local online auction.  It's like an actual auction, but all the viewing and bidding is done online through the course of a day.  If I end up as highest bidder I have a week to pick it up -- and luckily for me the headquarters is fairly close to me.
Of course, I could have just ridden it home as it does still have a license on it, but I'm not sure of the roadworthiness of it -- or me!  However, it will look great next spring displayed in a garden area.  Now I'll have to be on the lookout for bike baskets. 
Peace.

Midge

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I can just imagine how you felt, having to leave that wonderful cart behind, to go to the bank for a dollar! Thank goodness it was still there. It's probably a good thing (for us, anyway) that they employ folks who just don't "get it" in the places we shop. Otherwise, the prices would be much higher. I love your old bike. It looks very much like the one I learned to ride when I was a kid.

Vicki@MorePowerfulBeyondMeasure said...

Been missing ya Midge! I am drooling over that cart, and planning my first trip to the H for H Reuse store...keep wanting to go, but just never have. You've got to post it on JMS!
And just look at that bike...my husband gave me one for my 56th birthday and it wasn't $10 I am afraid. I've yet to ride mine...I'm scared...LOL
Good going on all of these finds! Vicki

Anonymous said...

Fun finds and great prices.
I am not an ebay person and usually just browse etsy for creative input. Let's face it, I am cheap. Isn't it so much better to have a story behind it?
I know as we enter a cooler season I will have yard sale withdrawls, so hid away a few treasures for myself to refind in the coming months.
So keep sharing projects and transformations.

Unknown said...

These are all AWESOME finds! And.. the free stuff, I never find great free stuff like that, the only thing I see free .. are well, you don't want to know.. lol.

Prior said...

What a cart...Lezlee