So what IS it made from ? Well, I can't tell you right off the bat, but I can give you a few clues.
And the hinges I used ? ... You guessed it, from the original piece too.
Ooo, and the feet too. Big clue. Getting warmer?
You can't read it? Hmmm.
Well, if you COULD read it, it would say "Hartford City Overhead Door Corporation". Yup, this was from our old garage door we removed.
I mean, THAT DOOR WAS SCARY! You can see I was so shaking I couldn't even take a good photo of it. My husband SOOOOOO wanted to throw it out. He said there was nothing I could do with it and it was unsalvagable. Ha! (He shouldn't have said that).
So after a year or so in the yard, and my husband getting that look in his eye (you know the one!) when we were having a bon fire, I PROMISED I would do something with it and got right to work shortly after. First I cleaned it up -- A LOT! Then some paint.
I had just enough salvagable sections to do the sides and still have some for shelves (even using glass from the door. The original door panels were particle board and nasty, so I used the best I could find for the back piece. The rest I removed and replaced with chicken wire.
It's still a little rough around the edges, but it is fun and one of those projects I just had to try.
And it makes a nice little piece for a few fun treasures or whatever. I tried first with a few auto type things, but I'm still playing with the display of it.
I'm linking this up to: