Not just repurposing, but BEING repurposed......" if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come." ~~ 2 Corinthians 5:17



Saturday, July 3, 2010

I think I'll park this project for awhile!

This project has been "in process" for some time now. I'm super excited to be finished. Mostly because I was kind of stalling with it and it was in my way -- physically and mentally. I think I'm pleased with it, but it was a little more challenging than I would have thought. It probably wouldn't be suitable for the "company only" type living room (do people even have those anymore?). But in a casual setting, this is a fun piece -- especially because of what it's made from.
So what IS it made from ? Well, I can't tell you right off the bat, but I can give you a few clues.


Check out this handle. It comes from a part of the original piece.


And the hinges I used ? ... You guessed it, from the original piece too.


Ooo, and the feet too. Big clue. Getting warmer?


There you go. All you have to do is read that hardware and you'll have your answer. ....What?
You can't read it? Hmmm.

Well, if you COULD read it, it would say "Hartford City Overhead Door Corporation". Yup, this was from our old garage door we removed.


I mean, THAT DOOR WAS SCARY! You can see I was so shaking I couldn't even take a good photo of it. My husband SOOOOOO wanted to throw it out. He said there was nothing I could do with it and it was unsalvagable. Ha! (He shouldn't have said that).


So after a year or so in the yard, and my husband getting that look in his eye (you know the one!) when we were having a bon fire, I PROMISED I would do something with it and got right to work shortly after. First I cleaned it up -- A LOT! Then some paint.


I had just enough salvagable sections to do the sides and still have some for shelves (even using glass from the door. The original door panels were particle board and nasty, so I used the best I could find for the back piece. The rest I removed and replaced with chicken wire.

It's still a little rough around the edges, but it is fun and one of those projects I just had to try.


And it makes a nice little piece for a few fun treasures or whatever. I tried first with a few auto type things, but I'm still playing with the display of it.
VROOM, VROOM
Midge
I'm linking this up to:

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow...you definitely do think outside of the box. I like the 'before' picture...the end result is more impressive when the beginning is seen.

I know about physically and mentally stalling on projects...it is a good thing when you can move on.

Rust: Vintage Inspired Design said...

LOVE this project Midge!! I want one!
Happy day!
xojanis

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Now that is genius! It looks wonderful with the chicken wire! I may have to start picking up garage doors now....
Rose

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is so cool! it would look perfect in a bathroom, i think. so glad you got to prove your husband wrong. those are the best projects. ;)

Pam said...

Absolutely fantabulous!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow! great repurpose! and you KNOW I love a great repurpose! :)
It looks fabulous! super use of the chicken wire and the original hardware!
gail

Pam said...

Super clever! Looks like some real work was put into this, but the results are simply unique. I'd love to have a piece like this - it looks very versatile and is wonderfully executed. Pam @ Sallygoodin

Lanette of Cottage Elements said...

You did an AMAZING job on this piece! I don't know if I would have even wanted to tackle it. You were very creative, and very daring! Kuddos, Noreen!

Lani

shannon i olson said...

oh, very cool!!! Just love it.

Marge of Emmas Nook and Granny said...

I love your creation!!

alice said...

Midge,
You are so far out my league! You up there with Donna! I can not beleive you can tlak/type with me!! hehe That was a fantastic project adn it turned out super-duper.Totally faulous!!

Nicole@CraftySisters-nc said...

Hilarious and so cool! Your hubby and mine sound very similar....:) Love your blog!

Prior said...

I loved this cabinet so much when I saw it on JMS...just great Midge!
Lezlee