Not just repurposing, but BEING repurposed......" if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come." ~~ 2 Corinthians 5:17



Tuesday, November 11, 2008


Like many veterans of his generation, my dad did not talk much about his experiences during the war. It wasn't until later in life (like when my kids had to do those "interview a vet" assignments) that he began to share more. I remember him telling how every time the guys on his ship would hear "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" they would all start to cry. Imagine all those big, strong, brave sailors bawling at the thought of home, family, and snow.

He also said that to pass the time, the guys would make things by whatever and from whatever means they could. My dad fashioned this bracelet for my mom from some scrap of tin. I don't remember him being particularly handy, artsy, or fond of junk. But he was very capable, practical, and caring. It's hard to detect from the photo, but the center is etched like an anchor, one end has his name and the other hers, and little x's decorate the edges.

No comments: