Not just repurposing, but BEING repurposed......" if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come." ~~ 2 Corinthians 5:17



Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Whatever way the wind blows these projects

First a little disclaimer:  If you're into the girlie, frilly, delicate stuff, this post may not be for you.  If you're into industrial -- ENJOY! 

Though I haven't been doing much blogging lately (oops!), I have been doing a bit of dabbling -- holiday stuff, mom stuff, house stuff, church stuff, etc.  But of course I didn't forget my true love -- JUNK!

I snagged these beauties up a while back.  All three rooftop wind turbines for $15.  A little more than I like to spend (afterall, I'm a scavenger), but when I considered it as $5 each, I could justify it. 
                                     

And they are quite large, check them out compared to that chair!

Here's one all ready to be operated on! --  Nurse, my screwdriver please!


The 2 top screws hold the "cage" to the turbine.  The other screw, along with its partner on the other side held them onto the bottom portion.  So, a little elbow grease and some help from WD-40 and.....


the 2 top parts were separated from the 2 bottom parts.

 And this is where the real fun begins!


The metal piping came off pretty easily.  But the roofing flange was the BIG job!  LOTS of scraping!  Tar is not easy to remove (and it's yucky!)


SOOO.....what do I have to show for my efforts?

Well, 3 of these (already have projects planned for them) ....
and the close up (I clearly need to rust up some more)...

6 of these (no ideas yet)....

and the close up (some are still intact, some not)....

3 of these beauties (I'm very excited for the project I've got planned for them)....  

and a little better view (notice the coffe can for size reference)....   

and 3 of these (some fun ideas are floating around my brain!).... 

I did say FUN didn't I?


So considering that I'll be making at least a dozen cool projects from this haul, I think the price wasn't too bad. Sorry I wasn't able to show you any finished goods just yet, it was a project just getting them disassembled.  But I definitely will be sharing more on this.

Midge 

5 comments:

Teresa@Much-A-Do said...

These are awesome! And HUGE! I cannot wait to see what you have dreamed up for these. Wonder if hubby would notice if I stole one of the turbines off our old milk barn? :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I would have loved one of those on my studio roof!!
Cant wait to see what you so with them, great price!

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Hi Noreen...fun stuff, can't wait to see what you've got brewing :) Laurel

Vicki@MorePowerfulBeyondMeasure said...

Those are beautiful and worth the $15, for sure. Can't wait to see what you create! Vicki

karen@grasshopperhill.net said...

The round turbines/hoods would make great hanging lamp shades! Also the round frames. They would be really cool industrial type hanging lamps.

You have a great blog! LOVE it!