Not just repurposing, but BEING repurposed......" if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come." ~~ 2 Corinthians 5:17



Friday, August 20, 2010

"Mom always liked you best!"

I'm going to keep this short and sweet, because quite frankly, this post is going to be a little bit painful. Donna is at it again with her Saturday Night Special linky party. And this weekend, she wants us to choose the favorite of our projects -- AAARRRGGGHHH! You may as well have asked which is the favorite of our children! Who could ever pick a favorite!! Afterall, these projects are like extensions of ourselves and we often fall in love with them and don't want to let them go.
So, truth be told, I have several "favorites" but chose just one to spotlight here. And here it is .......


This iron wheel was waiting for me at a farm auction a few years ago, and I spent the day waiting for it! But when the end of the day came and they started buttoning things up without mentioning it, I got a little nervous and spoke up (I think they thought it was junk -- can you imagine). With no one interested, I got it for $1.00 -- that beautiful, chippy, rusty iron wheel. And I knew from the start that it would make an awesome mirror. Initially I was bummed that there was a flat spot, but lately realized that would make it perfect for setting on a shelf or mantel.
So where is this beauty now? Probably adorning some cottage on Lake Michigan. A feature article in our local paper included a picture of it and I was promptly called by someone wanting to know if it was for sale. Yes -- sniff, sniff -- it is. It was time for that one to head out into the world.
Midge

16 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

LOL!! I feel for you as this one is really really cool! I just love the rustic metal feel. Such a unique use for the wheel!

I too would have a hard time letting a few favs go out the door. Luckily I don't have any for sale yet?!? :P

Donna

trash talk said...

I don't know if I feel sorry for you or happy! Great mirror, but think of the money to buy more stuff with!
Debbie

Cassie Bustamante said...

what a fantastic idea!!! i love the rusty wheel with the shiny mirror!

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Yes, this is a beauty! At least you got a picture right??? Hope it went to a good home...wish it was at mine ;)

That Girl Ang said...

Oh WOW Midge.. That's a beautiful piece (shhh don't let the others hear) LOL

Ang

Melissa said...

That is an awesome wheel and it makes a gorgeous mirror. Somebody hit the jackpot on your dime.

KimMalk said...

What a wonderful idea. Hopefully, you'll find another chippy old wheel. Then you could, uh, reinvent the wheel... I'm so sorry, I couldn't help myself!

jeanne said...

absolutely love it !!! there are many things i've given up that later i realize i should have kept......the nature of the business i guess...

Roeckers said...

LOVE IT!!!

Kristal said...

Hi Midge! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I came over to leave you a note and feel in love with yours! Wow, you have some great stuff on here. And this mirror is way-cool! What a great eye you have! I will definitely be coming back for inspiration!

~♥~
Kristal @ Grace Goods

shannon i olson said...

That is indeed a unique project. I like it very much. I have never been to an auction I am too afraid to go!!

Donna said...

What a cool idea! Not many people would see a tire as having potential! I love remaking cast off "junk", too! And I adore your corner bench in your previous post! I have seen many headboards turned benches in blog land, but never a corner one like yours. Gorgeous! Thanks so much for visiting, it's always great to hear from a fellow Michigander!

Kathy said...

Midge - what an awesome mirror...a flat tire never looked so good!

Have a great day my Michigan friend!! :)

Kathy

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Ooh...it IS a great mirror!

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

That is a great mirror! Isn't it so hard to let things go? The few items i've sold I still miss sometimes...Thank goodness for pictures!

Beth said...

Very cool! Great find.