Not just repurposing, but BEING repurposed......" if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come." ~~ 2 Corinthians 5:17



Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Blessing #4

I've got all 10 of my fingers! (and toes, too). Okay, well most people do. But it's just something we take for granted and don't really think about. But you know all those jokes about shop teachers and missing fingers? Well I suspect there's a lot of truth to those humors. When you spend a lot of time in the shop around power tools and machinery, things can happen. And I'm very thankful that I've never had any serious accidents.


And actually, I'm lucky to even be alive after one of my careless projects. I thought it would be fun to make something using the front of an old television set. But I just wanted the front and there was a big tube attached. So I began to saw the glass in the groove that separated the front of the glass from the rest of the tube. It was a long, tedious job and I was doing it in my living room. After a while, my arm was getting tired so I took a break and went to the kitchen to get something to drink. KABOOM! WHAT in the WORLD? A giant explosion rocked my house. I went to the living room and the t.v. tube was no more. There were chunks of glass scattered all over the room, some even embedded in the walls. The tube was a vacuum ray tube type. My sawing must have created enough of an opening to let air seep into the vacuum, building up pressure until it eventually exploded. If I were sawing it then, I would be dead for sure. My face had been just inches from the tube. I was shaking for the rest of the day just thinking about it.
As always, God had my back. But it was a not-so-gentle reminder that things can happen and I shouldn't take things for granted, and I should exercise caution (and common sense -- oops) when I'm working. Peace out!

2 comments:

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

That truly is a blessing, and definitely not something i often think about (or ever). Thanks for reminding me to be thankful for the little things.

The Whistle Stop said...

So, glad you are o.k. !! I wouldn't of thought of that either. I sometimes joke that "crafting" or "junking" can be hazardous to ones health. I too use the power tools and often forget to put on a mask when cutting and sanding and then I pay for it with dust bronchitis.
I've only nicked fingers and knuckles, thank goodness!

Take care and be careful with future projects!

Laurie