Not just repurposing, but BEING repurposed......" if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come." ~~ 2 Corinthians 5:17



Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Salute to Father's Day

This is my second Father's Day without my dad. But I certainly am not sad today. He lived a full life, and after spending his last years suffering from Alzheimer's is now spending eternity in Heaven with HIS father. I had an awesome dad who raised me right, loved me very much, and always let me know how proud of me he was. I feel very blessed to have had him for a father and that he lived as long as he did (82 years). I hope you feel the same about your dad.

But sadly, I know that many people do not. If you are one of those, my hope and prayer is that you do not think that that father, who's a product of a broken and sinful world, is an example of what our Heavenly Father is like. Our Heavenly Father loves us more than we can even humanly comprehend, but here are some quotes from and about Him that might help us get an inkling:

Genesis 5:1 When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. He created them male and female and blessed them.

Exodus 3:7 The Lord said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey

Deuteronomy 10: 17 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing.

Psalm 27:10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me.

Isaiah 40:11 He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his heart; and carries them close to his heart
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, " declares the Lord "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Luke 6:36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Luke 11:11 Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Galatians 4:7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

I John 4:9 This is how God showed his love among us; He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.

Just a small sampling of verses I found flipping through the Bible. It is filled with examples of our Heavenly Father's love and care for us. Happy Father's Day!

Midge

No comments: