Not just repurposing, but BEING repurposed......" if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come." ~~ 2 Corinthians 5:17



Tuesday, September 1, 2009

All Righty-Tighty Then

I'm reinstating my Tool School Tuesday plan. And I thought a good place to start would be with the basics. So....


you've probably heard that phrase before, but WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT MEAN? Even though I'm a seasoned tool girl, for years I struggled with this. My husband would answer "You know, just like it sounds....righty tighty, lefty loosy. " No, I DON'Tknow. ????????



It didn't make sense to me and probably to other overthinking-it, mathematical types. Afterall, in the world of circles, spheres, and arcs there is no left or right. If I turned the slot above, when one end goes right the other is going left. ????????
The better words to use would be CLOCKWISE or COUNTERCLOCKWISE (but apparently that wouldn't make any cute little sayings!). First consider the object to be turned as though looking at the face of it. Then, in this case, to tighten, turn the slot CLOCKWISE. So if it's straight up and down (12:30)......


turn the top point to the right. (Righty tighty!) I prefer to think of it as 12:00 to 3:00 -- CLOCKWISE! Sorry to overcomplicate a simple concept (I tend to do that) but it has always bugged me and thought maybe others felt the same. Now you know.



One more "simple" rule of thumb to stew on. I THINK this one speaks for itself. And it really is a good one to live by.
Be sure to tune in next week for another exciting Tool School Tuesday when we will cover the fascinating topic of .............. (drama) ................. more drama) ......................... okay, I don't know yet what it will be. I'll cover something, but do let me know if there's something you have wondered about. I'll try to cover it.
Be cool, use a tool!
Midge

2 comments:

red.neck chic said...

i have to have the "measure twice, cut once" mantra on my wall due to the fact that I'm too erratic in my creative behavior and usually end up cutting 4 times, then scratching my head as to why it all doesn't go together as it should!!!

don't tell anybody though...LOLOL

Love your post!!!

alice said...

Hey Midge,
You are definitely not left handed. Ha Ha ‘cause that is my mantra.
It amazes me how I can not get the turning going in the "right" direction without that silly saying!
smiles, alice